Southwestern Pulled Brisket


This was a happy experiment for me into two previously uncharted territories - brisket and the slow cooker. I had never used a slow cooker in my life, and I really don't know why. When I moved in with Chris he came with a slow cooker, and it had been sitting unloved for over 3 years. Well, this the start of a whole new Kylie. Who uses a slow cooker.

I also can't ever remember eating brisket growing up...or at all. But when I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen, I really didn't see how it could go wrong. I gave it a trial run on a day off, and three weeks later I'm already repeating it for our Super Bowl party. This brisket is now up there on my mental list of "favorite foods." It will feed a large number of people, or a small number of people in many iterations of leftovers. Not to mention, it makes the house smell absolutely incredible.


The first night, we made brisket burritos on small flour tortillas, with cheese, guacamole, and pickled red onions. Complete score. The next night, and many nights thereafter, the remainder of the brisket and onions was scooped onto rice or couscous with a sprinkle of cheese. Continued score. And by the way, that Smitten Kitchen recipe for pickled onions has also been added to my list of quick and easy things to make. They're just strong enough without being overwhelming.

I followed SK's posted brisket recipe all the way, and the only thing I changed (cause I'm a wuss with Irish tastebuds) was to throw in some chopped, dried ancho pepper instead of the chipotle peppers. Make it. You won't regret it.

Comments

  1. Why you can't remember eating brisket growing up:
    When I moved in with your father, he came with an electric frying pan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts