Red & White Chicken Chili

This isn't really chili, as it's more of a soup than a stew. If you need something quick and comforting to stick to your ribs without an overwhelming feeling of guilt, this is a good bet.

Note about the chicken stock: I don't roast chicken enough to have my own chicken stock on hand but I use chicken stock too often to spend all my money on store-bought chicken stock, so I rely heavily on Penzey's Soup Base. I adjust the proportions as needed depending on the flavor or health goals I need (it's not exactly low in sodium). I don't usually spell it out each time, but this time I thought it was worth it. In general, though, when I use stock in my recipes, you can assume that I'm using water & soup base.

Red & White Chicken Chili
adapted from Lizthechef's "White Chicken Chili"
Makes at least 4 large servings

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Juice of one lemon (preserve squeezed lemon)
Pinch of chicken stock or soup base

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
large chunk dried ancho pepper, chopped (or your preferred chili peppers, to taste)
3 chopped garlic cloves
2 tsps. ground cumin
2 tsps. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. ground ancho chili pepper
2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken stock (see directions in recipe, or use homemade/storebought chicken stock)

- Poach chicken breast in water with lemon juice and pinch of chicken soup base. Add squeezed lemon pieces to poaching liquid.
- In the meantime, start prepping onion, garlic, etc.
- Remove chicken when cooked through (ok it it's still a little pink). Allow to cool and shred.
- Reserve poaching liquid - hopefully you have enough for 4 cups (if not, just boil a little more water and add). Add about 1 1/2 tsps. of soup base to create chicken stock.
- Pour any remaining liquid out of the pot. Add oil and heat on medium-low.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili pieces, chili powder, coriander, and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Add beans, shredded chicken, and stock.
- Bring to boil, then simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheese.

Comments

Popular Posts