Carrot Ginger Soup

This is literally one of the first things I learned how to cook for myself, I have no idea how I haven't posted it before. Still one of my favorite comfort foods, hot or cold.

Carrot Ginger Soup
adapted from Carrot and Ginger Soup from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

3 tbsps. unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/8 c. ginger, finely chopped (sometimes I round up on this)
2 small cloves garlic, minced or pressed

3/4 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch half-moons
4 cups chicken stock (alternative, 3 1/2 c. chicken stock, 1/2 c. white wine)

1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
pinch curry powder (optional)

- Prep onion/garlic/ginger first.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Saute onion, ginger, and garlic for 10 to 15 minutes, until onions are translucent. Chop carrots.
- Add carrots and stock, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 45 minutes, until carrots are very tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or in a blender.
- Season with lemon, salt, and optional curry powder to taste.

Comments

Popular Posts