The Old-Fashioned

Today would have been my grandfather's 100th birthday.  My grandfather taught me many things, but one of his most important lessons inspired the name of this blog - it's not a cocktail without a cherry in it. 

It is true that there are many drinks I make regularly that I actually don't tend to use cherries for (gimlets, margaritas, gin and tonics, hot toddies, etc.).  That said, you will not be able to convince me that they wouldn't be made better by the addition of a cherry.  As long as the cherry is missing, they're just drinks - they're not cocktails.

In Ed Copland's honor, I am returning to my blog explorations with a drink that absolutely MUST be made with cherries.  The great thing about this cocktail is that it can (and should) be easily adjusted to reflect the tastes of the individual.  Just don't forget the cherries, or you've missed the point.

The Old-Fashioned

2 to 3 oz. bourbon or rye whiskey - depends on how strong you want it
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 slice orange
at least 1 cherry
several dashes bitters

- Place orange slice and cherry/ies in a low ball cocktail glass - also known as an Old Fashioned glass...wonder why...
- Add sugar and bitters to taste.
- Muddle together orange, cherries, sugar, and bitters.  Don't have a muddler?  Use the handle of a spoon or the back of an ice cream scoop.
- Add whiskey and stir to combine.  
- Add a few ice cubes and stir once.

Note: OK, maybe it's not all about the cherries.  Your choice of whiskey makes a difference here - those with a sweeter profile may not need as much sugar, some may taste better with more bitters, etc.  Play with it.  The bitters are also an important element of this drink, and while I will never say anything bad about good ol' angostura bitters, these bitters have completely changed how I make cocktails. 

Comments

Popular Posts