Alfonso - The Pig


This is without a doubt one of the best Christmas presents I have ever received. Last year, Chris and Megan teamed up to get me my own molcajete - promptly christened Alfonso. A molcajete is basically a large volcanic mortar and pestle specific to Mexico used for grinding spices and creating salsas and other such mashed tasty things - like guacamole. I've been smitten with these ever since one appeared beside our table at Newburyport restaurant Agave. They come in a number of varieties - but as far as I'm concerned, only the fat flop-eared pig head will do.

I use Alfonso religiously when making guacamole. In fact, I've completely lost my ability to make guac without it. I've also had a few adventures making homemade salse fresca and salsa verde with mixed success. These are definitely recipes I'll have to come back to later in the spring to tweak a little further. No matter what you make in it, really, who can refuse that face?

Comments

Popular Posts