Back from Hiatus

Summer is here all of a sudden and it's hard to believe that my last post was back in March. I'm a little disappointed in myself, but the extenuating circumstances of a) most overwhelming semester of grad school yet plus b) moving to our first home in Salem, MA (!!!!), plus c) the unknown location of our camera's USB cord following our move have somewhat delayed my ability to post/take pictures/even cook. Not to mention my long-suffering culinary guinea pig of a husband has been working 12+ hour days including Saturdays for the past two months. It's been a little rough.

BUT

in the face of a (hopefully) less strenuous summer semester ahead and the return of fresh produce, I am vowing a return to the blog. Pictures will just have to be posted retrospectively for now.

That said, Chris and I have been living off of lasagna, hamburgers, and chicken burritos for the better part of two months (no joke). So very few fun new recipes to share, but we have been able to sample a good variety of what Salem and Beverly have to offer and I have to say that I am EXTREMELY PLEASED. Here's a quick tribute to some of the new food/drink-related surprises we've discovered:

- Atomic Cafe in Beverly - waaaaay better than Starbucks. Or really much other coffee I've had recently.

- Treadwell's - the black raspberry frozen yogurt. I've been told that anyone growing up on the North Shore should already have understood how good this was, but the late Andover branch of Treadwell's was so close to Benson's it really never stood a chance with me.

- King's Roast Beef - Somerville had many culinary delights but no good sub places, and as karma payoff we are apparently now living next to the best sub joint in Salem. Score.

- 62 on the Wharf - the Rhuberry cocktail (some amazing strawberry-rhubarb concoction) knocked my socks off. Actually, so did the short ribs. And the tiramisu. Actually everything at 62 on the Wharf was really freaking good.

- Lobster Shanty - advertising as a dive bar, I wasn't expecting much of their "Molasses Flood" cocktail (basically a Dark & Stormy with molasses). So. Happily. Mistaken. Also, the Food Network crew from Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives was seen shooting there just last week.

- A&J King Artisan Bakers - almond croissant was even more than everyone had built it up to be.

- Green Land Cafe - fresh produce and bacon-infused bourbon. Nuff said.

Thankfully, I have to walk to all of these places, or my waistline would be in even more trouble than it currently is. As my kitchen slowly emerges from piles of boxes, I will be sure to return to the stove. Next stop, cod tacos!



Comments

  1. Glad to see you are back posting. I come here often to see what great meals you are creating as I am never that fearless so I live vicariously through you.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts